Wednesday 2 February 2011

Barn Owl

Below are a couple of photographs of a Barn Owl that I took at a place called Deeping High Bank, which is close to Peterborough and just over the border in South Lincolnshire. This site is excellent for Barn Owls and another owl, the Short-eared Owl in winter because of the `rough`, `scrubby` areas that are around the field margins that are full of field voles, the owls favourite food.

The Barn Owl is another one of our birds that has suffered a drastic fall in numbers in recent times. In the 1930`s there were believed to be 12,000 pairs, now there are only 4,000. This decline is believed to be linked to the use of pesticides and the use of second generation rodenticides. Also, the availability of nest sites is a major concern, as the old buildings that are used by Barn Owls are either being pulled down or renovated.

Re-establishing hay meadows, conserving areas of rough grassland rich in voles wherever possible, especially alongside watercourses, field edges and woods will help to ensure this species has sufficient feeding areas. The provision of nest boxes where `natural` sites have been removed is also critical.


Digiscoped using Lumix FS15 and Kowa TSN-883 x30

10 comments:

  1. Such a phenomenal bird, and your photographs show it off to such good effect. I'm interested to see that nest boxes can be helpful in preserving this already decimated population. I do hope folks in the area that is/was their habitat will take note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he is adorable...so mystical looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Raining Acorns. There are a few nest boxes in the area where I took the photos and there are several in the Peterborough area. The farm where I buy my bird seed has several on his land, infact last year 5 pairs successfuly bred, so there is hope for this gorgeous bird.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cat. He is `The wise owl`.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. John in our Oil Palm plantations barn owls are reared to reduce the population of rats which feed on the palm fruits. I'm not sure if they are of the same species though - much darker in colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grandpa. I must confess that I looked this up and found out that it is this species that has been bred for the purpose you describe. Some sources have said that the breeding programme and subsequent nest boxes that were used in Malaysia led to these being used in Britain and have actually helped `save` the British Barn Owl.
    There are differences in plumage colour, with some birds being almost white to others being very dark.
    I thank you for making me aware of this breeding programme, it has made me think that the future is brighter for this bird.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pictures.

    If they run out of food there, John, my mum and dad have a nice juicy rat visiting their garden quite regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mask, I know where to send them when the food runs out!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must have heard owls a hundred times more than I have seen them! This bird looks like a beauty.
    Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi bazza. Owls can be quite vocal when they are making territories. This one was more interested in looking for field voles, he wasn`t successful while I was watching him!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.