Saturday 12 February 2011

As bald as a Coot

Digiscoped using Lumix FS15 and Kowa TSN-883 x30


The Coot is a water bird that is familiar to all of us. Frequently seen in flocks and often in the company of ducks, swans and other water birds, picking up discarded food or food that is disturbed by other birds. It is generally found on lakes, reservoirs, flooded gravel pits and large,slow flowing rivers.

In summer the population is around 46,000 in Britain and approximately 8,600 in Ireland and at present this seems to be stable, if not slightly increasing. In the winter this figure increases with birds that have come from northern and eastern Europe. The oldest bird survived for 18 years.

The saying `as bald as a coot` derives from this bird. The Coot is not bald, but has a white head. In old English the word `bald` has several meanings, one of which is `streaked or marked with white`, hence the expression.

8 comments:

  1. Not only great information about the coot itself, but also the "folklore" surrounding it, from you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,
    More interesting facts and I thank you for that. And thanks for clearing that up about 'as bald as a coot'. Speaking of 'bald', did you know that more 'bald eagles' reside in Canada than America?
    Hope you are having a peaceful weekend.
    In kindness, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Raining Acorns. A common bird, but with an interesting story!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gary. No, I didn`t know that about Bald Eagles, for that I thank you my friend. I am pretty sure, however that their name is derived from the same sort of old English, as their heads are white, not bald?!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first regained an interest in birds, as an adult, the first thing I learned was how to spot coots and moorhens on a local pond (Wanstead Flats in east London).
    I have always had a special affection for them. Thanks for this interesting post.
    Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi bazza. We all have birds that we `feel` a connection with and I am pretty sure it is linked to our first sightings. I am `linked` in this way to the Common Snipe, a bird I remember seeing for the first time with my Dad when I was about 7. It was this that got me hooked!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I am indeed wiser. I wonder if the expression, "an old coot" stems from this bird? As for Klahanie's claims about Bald Eagles. Hmmm... as an American...I'd like to protest! But sadly, he's right. I've been told by locals here that one can spot bald eagles soaring down the Merrimack River in New Hampshire during the winter months. My eyes are peeled, but so far no luck. Could it be my bald eagle spottings will go the way of the Elusive Moose. I hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rebecca. I am not sure about the `old coot` expression to be honest. I am sure that you will one day see a Bald Eagle soaring majestically over the Merrimack River, keep those eyes peeled!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.