Tuesday 26 April 2011

Walk like an Egyptian



Digiscoped using Canon Powershot A640 and Kowa TSN-883 x30


The Egyptian Goose is thought to have been introduced into Britain from South Africa in the late 1700`s and by the 1960`s there was a small population in Norfolk which has grown and expanded into new areas. Numbers are increasing at Rutland Water (where these photo`s were taken) and they are now colonising several midland counties, including Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

Egyptian Geese are larger than a Shelduck, with long pink legs and a small pink bill. They are buff coloured with a reddish-brown back, pale grey underparts and have a dark mark on the breast. The head and neck are paler, with a brown patch around the eye and there is a narrow neck band. The wings are dark with a green speculum and an obvious white wing patch.

There are estimated to be around 1,000 individuals of this species, with 700 of these thought to be breeding adults. The population is thought to be increasing rapidly. In Africa this bird is widespread south of the Sahara Desert and also on the upper Nile in Egypt.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely Images John,great Digiscoping.
    We first came across these in Rutland Water,about three years ago.
    Nice tick for use.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My step sister was bitten on the nose by a goose when we were little. (Just a bit of useless information). I thought of you today; I saw two birds in my garden yesterday that I've never seen before. I was wishing for your lens...Macro lens not so good in certain situations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey! They'll be the next 'Canada Goose' influx. I blame The Bangles.
    Click here for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  4. They make a great addition to our Goose species John.
    I have certainly seen them in Norfolk quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks John,
    We get the odd few in Peterborough, probably from the birds in Rutland. A nice bird to have on the local patch.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cat,
    Hope your step sister has recovered! I am sure they were some exotic breed that I can only dream of seeing in the flesh!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Raining Acorns,
    They must have walked with a book on their heads when they were young! ;)
    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi bazza,
    I don`t think DEFRA would let these birds get too widespread.
    The Bangles are responsible for a lot of things, but I had better not go into that! ;)
    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Roy,
    Yes, I agree with you. I love to go to Rutland and see these birds, I seem to have a soft spot for these geese.
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.