Monday 14 January 2013

It's 'snow' use!

Two weeks into the New Year and I am making my first post. Outrageous! In simple terms I have not been out much over those weeks, except to try and get some sort of work, which is getting harder and harder and consequently other things have become more important. 

Today dawned with snow on the ground, no work today then! I dragged myself out of the house and tried to do some birding. I visited a local site where two 'white'winged gulls were seen at the weekend, but today there was no sign of the Glaucous or Iceland Gulls. I carried on regardless, travelling to a local gravel pit to see if I could catch up with an over-wintering Great White Egret that has been seen a few times, on the way seeing two Common Buzzards hunting close to a dyke, most unusual as they were on the ground. No joy there either. Great, this is turning out to be a complete waste of time, I thought! I ventured a bit further up the road, all the while the snow was falling heavier and heavier. I arrived at a little dyke, known locally as the Cross Drain. This is more like it, I thought. Two Green Sandpipers and four Redshank were feeding, accompanied by a couple of Little Egrets, a Kingfisher flew by, a dazzling blue in a world of grey and white, but the icing on the cake came by way of a Water Pipit, my first locally for a couple of years. I ventured out to Baston Fen, but only saw a few Common Snipe probing hopefully by a frozen pool, before the snow forced me back home where the garden was filled with Blackbirds and Reed Buntings.

Male Reed Bunting

Male Reed Bunting

Common Buzzard

Common Buzzard

18 comments:

  1. Not a bad bunch John.
    At least this poor weather might bring some goodies over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith,
      Hopefully, although whether I get to see them is another matter! ;)
      J

      Delete
  2. You observed more than me John as I stayed home.{:))
    Nice shots of the Reed Bunting. I must say I have seen more Buzzards on the ground in this part of the country than where I originated.
    Hope your workload increases soon John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy,
      I had to get out of the house as I was going stir crazy! I have seen Buzzards on the ground before, but this just looked 'odd', don't know why!?
      Thanks, hopefully spring will arrive nice and early.
      J

      Delete
  3. Hi John :-) First and most importantly how very rude of me not to wish you a Happy New Year on your last post...I'm very sorry :-( I hope 2013 will be a wonderful one for you with plenty of work and lots of good weather!

    We had snow too although not as much as some. I can't remember if you have had Reed Buntings in the garden before, that would be a mega in my garden. Lovely photos of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan,
      Many thanks and the same to you. :)
      The snow has mostly gone now, it is just very cold and icy.
      Every winter we get a few Reed Buntings and then in the spring they vanish. This year there have been a few more than normal, don't really know what that signifies, it's just good to see them.
      J

      Delete
  4. Nice shots of the Reed Buntings John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see the Reed Buntings. Mainly Blackbirds here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to see John! We had 17 Blackbirds in the garden this morning! Not bad for a little plot!
      J

      Delete
  6. Dear John,
    I saw lovely snow pictures in the Guardian, and here it is white too. The male reed bunting looks really chilled through. Hope for your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Britta,
      I am sure it is colder in your part of the world than here, although it has been pretty chilly today.
      I think the Reed Bunting probably was chilled, it was minus 1! ;)
      J

      Delete
  7. Hi John,

    Apologies for my lateness in getting to this post. You have captured the essence of a winter's day with these photos and those magnificent birds. Thank you for showing the experience of your day.

    And, my friend, a peaceful, positive 2013 to you and your loved ones.

    In kindness and goodwill,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies necessary Gary, my friend. Glad you enjoyed the post and the photos, just 'snaps' really.
      May 2013 bring you and yours all you wish for.
      J

      Delete
  8. Love the Bunting, looks great against the snowy background too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, the snow has gone now, to be replaced by ice and fog!
      J

      Delete
  9. Hi John. All my recent posts seem to have disappeared! I previously said that I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful look of the reed bunting.
    Click here for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bazza,
    I have been having problems with the internet today, lots of things have been disappearing, maybe they got lost in the fog!?
    The Reed Bunting is a beautiful bird in a subtle way. The male is stunning in full breeding plumage!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.