Monday 5 August 2013

Wood Sandpiper

Talk of my demise seems to have been premature.

With reports of a couple of Wood Sandpipers being present at my local patch of Maxey gravel pits, I managed to grab a couple of hours on Sunday to go and see if I could get a view of a wader that I have not seen locally for at least a year.

This site is looking rather good at the moment and with my first scan of the area I managed to see the first Wood Sandpiper, huddled down in the company of a Common Sandpiper. Continuing my perusal of the site I picked up the second Woody, fairly close by and also 3 Dunlin, 8 Green Sandpipers, 3 Ringed Plovers, 1 Little-ringed Plover and another 2 Common Sandpipers.




On walking back to the van, it was good to note that there were fairly large numbers of Common Blue butterflies present.




Hopefully, I will be back again soon.

12 comments:

  1. Hi great to see the Sandpipers and the Butterfly shots look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, it got me out of my slumber!
      J

      Delete
  2. Great shots of the Wood Sandpiper John.
    A few around here at the moment. I must make the effort I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith,
      Thank you. It seems to be quite a good year for sightings of Wood Sandpiper, didn't see any last year locally and now 3 at once! Well worth making the effort.
      J

      Delete
  3. Hi John, I thought that the Wood Sandpiper might drag away from your work. Nice shots you got. Thankfully, I have seen a few more Common Blue now, it wasn't looking good for them to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy,
      Thanks. Yes, they dragged me away from mowing grass! ;)
      Maxey is a good site for Common Blues at the moment, there are dozens of them present.
      J

      Delete
  4. Pretty Sandpiper and lovely butterfly shots. Great sightings and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen,
      Yes, a lovely bird and not that common here.
      J

      Delete
  5. Hi John...Love that open line : )!!
    You was lucky to catch up with the Woody's, and along with some other good sightings!!
    The Common Blue shot's are stunning!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace,
      Thank you, I knew that I couldn't stay away for long! :)
      I am glad that I caught up with the Woody's, although, I think that they are still there!
      J

      Delete
  6. Pleased you managed a bit of relaxation time John. Here I've seen very few blue flutters this year. Mainly an explosion in the population of whites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John,
      It was good to get out and do some nature watching, chilled the nerves somewhat! We seem to have a population explosion of Peacocks here, we are falling over them!
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.