Wednesday 12 November 2014

Desert Wheatear at Lowestoft, Suffolk


I arrived at Lowestoft after fighting through closed roads and roadworks to see the male Desert Wheatear being admired by a small gaggle of birders on the sea wall close to the Birds Eye factory. The bird was incredibly confiding, showing as close as 6 feet at times and seemingly nonchalant as regarding every ones presence. Locals walked along the sea wall, interested in what these binocular/camera clad people were looking at, dog walkers mooched by and the bird still continued to feed on small flies that seemed to buzz everywhere. At one point a lady let her dog get a bit too close (unwittingly, I think?) and the bird did fly some distance, but after a while continued to feed and put on a show for the assembled crowd. I took far too many photos, but it was hard not to when presented with such a poseur, but eventually had my fill and started my return journey to Peterborough after doubling my life sightings in the U.K. of this little bird in one day.












10 comments:

  1. Another great set of images John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy!
      I think, given the proximity of the bird that even I was able to get some okay images!
      J

      Delete
  2. This is one very attractive bird. Excellent shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John. I tried scrolling those pictures very quickly to see if animated the birds....didn't work!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bazza!
      I have got a couple of videos of the male and female, but can't seem to download them for some reason!?
      J

      Delete
  4. What are you saying? okay images? ...these are great... and, it shows us exactly what you were saying about him feeling quite at ease and happy to pose for the camera...... what a cute little guy he is.... and, what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BumbleVee! A great bird, I just wish they were all as confiding!
      J

      Delete
  5. These are at the top end of photography.
    Brilliant captures.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, very kind of you to say so!
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.