Monday 1 September 2014

Red-necked Grebe at Rutland Water






This bird has been present at Rutland Water for a few days now and has given me the chance to catch up with a bird that I have only ever seen twice before. It was hanging around at the dam end of the reservoir and showing very well amidst the gloom and damp of a fine summer evening. A bird that is more common around the coast where a few hundred overwinter each year.

Showing the difference in size and appearance to the more 'common' Great Crested Grebe.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John.That fine looking bird looks so comfortable on the water that I'm slightly jealous of it's serenity!
    Continuing my new experiment of naming the music I am listening to while posting or commenting - right now it's: ‘Learning to Fly’ by Tom Petty, “I’m learning to fly but I ain’t got wings. Coming down is the hardest thing.” Listen on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BJXwNeKsQ
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bazza,
    It was just a bit too comfortable on that miserable murky day, the blooming thing wouldn't come any closer!
    Just listened to Learning to fly. Have heard it before, but didn't really know who it was by. Getting better, what's next?
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.