Monday 20 October 2014

Booted Eagle at Porto Cristo Novo, Mallorca


Lisa and I have been away for the past week, a very welcome break to the sunny island of Mallorca. This was strictly a non birding holiday, it was time for us both to relax and unwind, but I still managed to take my bins and camera!

I was under strict instructions not to go running around the vicinity on the look out for all things feathered, but birds were encountered on our saunters around the area close to our apartment which was the small village of Porto Cristo Novo on the east coast of Mallorca. The 'best' bird encountered was this Booted Eagle, a new bird to us both and was seen riding high in the sky (approx 500ft) on some thermals looking for its next meal. The bird in question was the pale version, there are two morphs with the other being a darker version and although I wasn't certain on the I.D. at first, when I studied my Collins it was obvious that the bird in question was the pale morph Booted Eagle. Nice.


The photos are heavily cropped, but hopefully you can see the slightly lighter and barred flight feathers that is one of the identifying features. More photos of a few more of our feathered friends will follow, but as I have said, this was definitely not a birding holiday.

6 comments:

  1. Non birding holiday, bins and a camera, Yeah! right.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know how it is Roy, you can never go to far without binoculars! ;)
      J

      Delete
  2. There is no such thing as a non birding holiday. A birder will always have his eyes looking foe bird!! Love the shot of the Eagle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret and how very true. My eyes tend to look up more than down, which can lead to mishaps!
      J

      Delete
  3. Hi John. I have to say that I was expecting this post! Any Eagle is always impressive. The last one I saw was a Sea Eagle in Australia!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's just showing off Bazza! ;)
      As I said, more may follow, if I ever get around to it!
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.