Thursday 1 January 2015

Glaucous gull at Dogsthorpe Star Pit

So, 2014 is over. The last of the Christmas pudding has been eaten and the last fireworks of New Years Eve have finally fizzled out and with it comes a clean year at which to look forward. 2015 will bring new challenges to us all, but as ever, I will be partially concerned with adding new birds to my life lists and trying to get anywhere near my PBC record total of 182. Yes, 182! During the dying embers of the previous year I managed to add another two birds to my 2014 PBC list, 4 Egyptian Geese at Deeping Lakes NR and a rather fine juvenile Glaucous gull at Dogsthorpe Star Pit.


This big brute of a white winger was present along with a second year Iceland gull and was reported by Jonathon Taylor on the 29th December. And so, I ended 2014 as I had pretty much started, scanning thousands of gulls just outside the local tip in the hope of connecting with this rather fine specimen.

He's in the above and below photo, can you spot him?


I wish everyone a peaceful and prosperous New Year and here's to a few 'ticks' in 2015.

6 comments:

  1. Have a good 2015 John, both professionally and with your hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you. Great find and hope you achieve your hola for 2015 John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you Margaret! Here's hoping for a productive 2015!
      J

      Delete
  3. Hi John. Congratulations on your record year. You certainly worked for it!
    I saw a pair of introduced Egyptian Geese last year in Valentines Park, Ilford and with my walking group yesterday morning we saw six of them there. Also spotted a pair of Jackdaws, quite rear in that park.
    All the best for the New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bazza! Many thanks for that, although I don't know if I would call it work, I know some that wouldn't!
      All the Egyptian Geese that you see in this country are from introduced stock, although now the ones around here are from a self sustaining source (I think). There are still people, proper birdwatchers, who won't tick them though!
      Hope you and yours have a good 2015!
      J

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.