Wednesday 24 August 2011

A blackberrying Whitethroat



It is that time of year when the warblers start to bulk up in readiness for their long migration back to Africa. In the Spring and Summer these birds tend to eat insects and beetles, but when the nights start to draw in they begin to feed on berries (they also do this on their wintering grounds prior to migration).

The above photo`s shows a Common Whitethroat doing just that, choosing a ripe blackberry and consuming it with ease. You will see lots of these little birds in fairly large mixed flocks going through hedgerows feasting on ripened berries before they make the long trip to the Sahel in North Africa where they will spend the winter months.

18 comments:

  1. Two stunning shots John,the second image is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful captures. I always love watching birds eating berries, but it's sometimes hard to photograph them as they duck behind leaves, etc. You didn't have any problems at all with these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely little birds--the hedgerows are so important, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the first time I've seen blackberry :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI John..lovely photos of the whitethraot...the berries look yummy. The poor bird might have competition for those Blackberries if I was around! : }}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice shots John, shows off the upper plumage. I have seen quite a few Whitethroats on the move now recently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kelly, I just got lucky with these, I won`t show you the ones I got rid of! ;)
    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,
    There are lovely little birds. Hedgerows are vitally important, we must stop ripping them up to make bigger fields!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chinatours, it`s the first time for everything!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Grace,
    I must admit I am quite partial to blackberry and apple pie, but the birds needs outweigh mine! ;)
    J

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Roy,
    Thankyou. There has been a bit of movement of warblers just lately!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely shots, John. Haven't seen that behaviour yet this year; will have to look out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems to have been a bumper year for hedgerow fruit this year John so they should be able to stock up well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jeremy,
    I have seen it a fair bit with all sorts of different birds, this is the only time I have been able to photograph it!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John,
    Yes, I have noticed a lot of fruit. I remember reading an old wives tale that said that this meant that it was going to be a hard winter! Hope it`s not as bad as last year!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.