Wednesday 10 August 2011

Whinchat




My PBC year list has been pretty stagnant just lately and after missing out on a Purple Heron, Osprey and Curlew a couple of weeks back I began to wonder if I would soon add another bird to the list! An early morning visit to my local patch at Maxey GP answered my question. On a new piece of fencing erected in the Spring was a lovely Whinchat. It kept dropping down to the ground and then returning to the same post or its neighbour, doing what Whinchats do. It was quite distant and jumpy so these shots are just record shots really of only the second known bird in the PBC area this year (the other was in the Spring and I missed out on that one too). This lovely bird brings my PBC year list limping to 161.

The Whinchat is a summer migrant to the U.K. arriving in April and May and is just seen on passage in our area. They breed on moorland edges, amongst bracken, in young forestry plantations with areas of short grass and where there are prominent perches to hunt from. They are also found in other rough grassland areas, including water meadows and upland farms.

They feed mainly on invertebrates, including mayflies, caddisflies, moths, beetles, spiders, small snails but will also eat some plant material, such as blackberries.

The numbers of Whinchat are slowly falling, in line with a lot of our other summer migrants. This could be due to the `tidying` up of the countryside and overgrazing at nesting sites, but also there may be problems at their winter grounds south of the Sahara, especially when a drought occurs.

12 comments:

  1. Another nice little capture John, I have definitely not seen one of those around the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely little bird John...I havn't seen one on my patch.
    Great images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks a very tiny bird. I'm not sure I would recognize it if I saw one.
    Click here for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top bird John,love these little chaps.
    Another Digiscoping FAB shot.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Roy,
    I have seen them before at Maxey, another good place for them is Central Drove on the Nene Washes, especially in the Autumn.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrew,
    Thankyou, hopefully you will seen one soon!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bazza,
    They are quite small, about the size of a Robin, but have a shorter tail.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dominic, you are too kind!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks John, they are `charming` little birds! Glad I managed to catch up with one this year.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, a great little bird and three great images too including the bottom one with the Reed Bunting....but you didn't need me to tell you thats what it was did you John!!

    Many thanks for looking in and comments on Birds2blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pete,
    Thanks for your kind words and for visiting my humble blog, hopefully you will come back again some time!?
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.