Tuesday 30 August 2011

GRIPPED!

Birders are `gripped` when a bird is seen by others but not themselves. This normally refers to a rarity, nationally, or, as in my case locally.

I have been away for a few days, mine and Lisa`s only break this year and during that brief time a bird was found in the PBC recording area that has been a bit of a bogey bird for me locally. A first winter Pied Flycatcher was seen in a garden by a local birder in the east of the area and the news was put out on the local bird site. I was away and the bird was only present for a day and a bit, as I say `GRIPPED`!

Mike Weedon and Brian Stone have been `after` this bird locally since God was a boy and Mike was the only one of us mad local listers in the area on Saturday. He got some stonking views and some rather lovely photo`s of this bird, click here to have a look. I am very pleased for Mike (he says through gritted teeth), but upset for Brian as he has `wanted` this bird for goodness knows how long. There is normally at least one of these birds locally per year, so hopefully the wait will not be too long, there is always next year!

Below is a photo of a young Robin that has been present in my back garden, learning the ropes of how to be a Robin in this big bad world. The resident adult, I assume its parent has now `had enough` of this youngster and is constantly trying to chase it off, but to no avail, the plucky youngster refuses to give up and keeps coming back.

I only post it because I like the picture and it shows me that I may have missed out on the Pied Fly, but I can still see beauty in the `common` birds in our area.





14 comments:

  1. Sorry you missed out on the Flycatcher... a lovely image of the juvenile Robin though.
    Mr Weedon of Weedon's World I presume... nice chap met him at the Birdfair last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,
    I like the photo you have submitted, very much. I had no idea a young robin looked like that. There's a slight clue, however of what it will become. Thanks John.
    In kindness, shy and humble, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Mike Weedon doesn't miss much John, smelling of "violets and roses" etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know this term, but then, it's a rare thing for me, with my spotty knowledge and lax habits, to catch more than the common birds. Though as you note with your sweet little baby robin, they, too, have endless appeal. I enjoyed Weedon's shots of the "catch," and even more this comment he made: "My digiscoping camera was out of juice, but I managed these snaps with the DSLR and 300mm lens." So, there is hope!

    Speaking of common birds, I do have a bird shot of an osprey up right now (common in Maine and on LI) that I'm sorta proud of . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrew,
    Thankyou, I am sure I will get over it, in time!
    Yes, Mike is a nice chap, very understanding when it comes to numpty birders like me!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gary,
    A younger Robin looks even less like a Robin than this one, just all brown and speckled, almost like a different bird!
    Thankyou Gary, for your kind words.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Roy,
    I know, he doesn`t often `dip`, although it has taken him a while to `get` this bird!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,
    There are lots of terms that birders use, almost their own language, I don`t understand all of it!
    Mike`s shots are good, aren`t they, just rubbing salt into the wound really! ;)
    Your shot of an Osprey is superb, you are right to be proud of it! Thankfully these birds are getting a bit more common in Britain now and there are a few breeding pairs just down the road from me at Rutland Water!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John. That picture of the young robin is beautiful. I've been noticing young blue tits around the feeders recently and a female blackbird paused on the patio this morning. At least I think that's what it was; it had mottled burnt umber on top and sepia below (sorry, I'm a painter)!
    PS: I have solved my posting and general blog problems by switching to Google Chrome. My last few comments here did not appear!
    Click here for Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photo of the young Robin. That made me realise I hadn't see any robins here for several months.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi bazza,
    Thankyou. That bird sounds like it could be a young Blackbird, not yet moulted into adult plumage, there are quite a few around at the moment, in various stages of age!
    Glad you have sorted out your blog problems.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks John,
    We have got a few still coming in the garden, an adult and two young, but as I said, the adult is trying to chase the youngsters away!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute and curious litlle fellow! Great shot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Dominic, you are too kind!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my humble blog.